Pages

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Craft for the lil' ones

Last night I decided to sew something other than garment. Since day 1 of having my own sewing machine at home, I've been sewing nothing but my own garments. As I was flipping through the pages of my Reader's Digest sewing guide, I came upon a page on sewing projects for friends and family. My eyes were drawn to a simple shoulder bag shown and I remembered how my Nine has been begging for similar bag. I happen to keep one of Nine's jeans when he was smaller. Previously I thought of refashioning it into a skirt for my niece but after reading the guide to making the shoulder bag, I decided the jeans is perfect material for Nine's shoulder bag.

The guide said I'll need to cut four 12x14 cm rectangles but when I take this measurement against my little boy's body, I thought it'd be too big for him. After removing all seams, I then cut the jeans into A4 paper size. As I sewed two of the four rectangles, it struck me that the bag is going to be thick and chunky. Instead of using all four rectangles to make a bag, I used all four to sew two bags. One for little Nine and the other for my eldest, Azhan. It took me less than a day to sew them all as I skipped all the detailing of the bags. I know that the bag is very superb in design and very simple indeed but my Nine really loves the bag that he straight away uses it as soon as I sewed the last seam.

No comments: