Pages

Friday, May 13, 2005

Anidraw's blog

Welcome to my blog. Eversince I left school, this is the very 1st time I'm keeping a journal. I was 1st introduced to blogger by a friend of mine who had a blog where she kept her journal. It's taking me quite sometimes to think of what to write in. I remember during my schooldays, my former English teacher forced us to keep a daily journal to help us improve our English writing skills, and thanks to her, alhamdulillah I'm always capabale of getting a good job compared to my housemates during uni years who had difficulty in getting hired due to lack of proficiency in English. I graduated from National University of Msia (Universiti Kebangsaan Msia), during my 1st employment interview, the interviewer (who was then my former boss) was surprised that I can communicate & converse very well in English. He claimed that this UKM, the acronym that he used referred to Universiti 'Kampung' Msia produces graduates who are mostly not proficient in English. During my uni years I've never thought that all Msia employers would have that perception towards all UKM graduates. I thought my former boss was prejudice and he should never judge interview candidates based on their tertiary educational institution. Well I didnt exactly say it out loud to his face that he should never underestimate people, instead I said that my father had put emphasis on the importance of mastering the English Language (thanks also to my father for his 'strictness' on learning English).
I think it's true that English is a very important language especially nowadays where ICT is virtually creating a borderless world, and the English language is mainly used as the medium of instruction on the web. The fact that English is used as the medium for international trading is making the language as the international language at the moment. So, like it or not each of us must be able not only understand the medium but also able to converse & communicate in the language if we dont wanna be left behind.

2 comments:

Fazira Albaijure said...

ooOOooO cikgu suh wat journal eh ms skolah dulu.. no wonder la i'm still unemployed until today, hehehe..

Digitalite said...

i can live with UKM being called University Kampung Malaysia but I hate it when they call it University Kelantan Malaysia... it really downgrades the 'prestigous' university.. i mean come on... this is malaysia's NATIONAL university ooo...