Pages

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A mother - child bond

Today while having lunch with a few of my office mates, I was struck by the mother - child bonding topic that we were discussing. We started to chat on the topic as we learned that one close office mate of ours had to send her son to her parents' place in Kuching. She's been requested to go to our office in Sydney to undergo a one-month training there. Normal mothers will weep upon knowing that they have to be away from their children for quite sometimes. When she was telling this to us, her eyes were filled with tears. As a mother of two boys, I fully understand the felling of being apart from the children.

I experienced this feeling for the first time when I had to attend the PTD assessment programme in Kluang, Johor. It was somewhere back in May, I got the letter from the SPA saying that I'd to undergo an assessment in order to qualify to the next round of the PTD selection. I was supposed to attend the selection held in KL but due to a training conducted at the office, I had to reschedule the assessment date as well as the venue. The nearest centre available was Kluang & Kuala Ketil but I chose to go to Kluang since my hubby is very familiar with that part of Msia.

We parted from Serdang right after maghrib prayer. After four hours of non-stop drive, we reached Kluang town. I remembered during our journey to Kluang, my in-laws who were back then staying in Segamat rang us a number of times to ensure we had a save journey. At about midnite, we reached Kluang town & headed straight to one of the hotels there.

Early the next morning, I packed our luggages & separated my luggage from my hubby's & my kids' baggages in case I had to stay in the hostel provided at the assessment centre. I really wished that they would allow me to stay at the nearest hotel instead of the hostel provided. It never occurred to me that it would be the day I had to be away from my children for a couple of days. After I registered myself into the assessment centre, I went to get the things needed and put them into the room provided. Then, I went straight to my hubby & kids who were awaiting in the car. That was the moment I had to wish farewell to my hubby & kids. It was the saddest moment in my life because I knew then I had to be apart from my family for a couple of days. It was the first time ever my cheeks were drenched with tears, to be away from the children that I love. The fact that I wouldn't be seeing them for a few days really strucked my heart. Even my children were crying. I hugged and kissed my hubby & kids. My two boys were screaming asking me to get back into the car. I told them, "Mama has to go to work", but it didn't stop them from crying. My hubby said, "It's just for a few days. We'll fetch you on Sunday". More tears ran down my cheeks when I saw them drove away & left the place heading to my in-laws' place in Segamat.

I could imagine my colleague's feelings to be apart from her son. That's how strong a mother - child bonding is. I couldn't understand how some of the so called mothers could easily get rid of their children after birth, some even dumped their babies in garbage cans. What were they thinking? How could they be so mean & cruel to the babies that they carried so close to their hearts for nine months? I was never fond of kids in my teen ages but after I got married & had my own kids my heart sank upon learning that some mothers turned into devils to dump their babies just to seal their sins. They should know that, Allah sees everything that one commits - one may veil it from others but Allah knows, there's nothing that one could hide away from Allah the Almighty.

No comments: