Pages

Monday, September 12, 2005

Walking down the memory lane

With nothing much to do at work, I have all the time to walk down the memory lane - the precious moments in my life. The strongest memory that is coming back to my mind is the four years spent in the university. I could clearly see my fellow uni friends in my mind - Ct, Anad, Imah and Lin. I remember how I first got to know them. It was back in 1998, our registration day and our 1st day as freshmen enrolling for our IT degree. I'd just registered at late noon, when most of the housemates had done their unpacking. Frankly, I'm not a friendly person so it was never easy for me to start a conversation. Luckily, my mom was there helping me to settle my baggage. She started talking to one of them, it was Ct. And Ct with her ever talkative & friendly manner introduced herself & the rest of the bunch. That was how I got to know them, my mom. Then, parents were ushered to leave the hostel as we had to report for our orientation week. I don't wanna elaborate much on our orientation week.

Anyway, after 1 week of torturous orientation programme, we were asked to move to another block. We were transported to our new block with a bus. The bus was crammed up with all our stuffs. The sun was about to set when we got there. After unloading our stuffs and 'fighting' for our rooms, the two seniors who were staying there, took us to the nearest food stalls. We walked there, and our 1st journey to the stalls seemed too long & really tiring. When we got there, we were all swelled up by the many steps taken just to fill our grumbling stomach. After that 1st journey, we never complaint about the distance since we were so used to a lot of walking after that. My most memorable moment with them was when the 4 of us walked all the way from our house to the nearest shopping plaza. I could clearly hear how they teased me about my consciousness over my weight (i was a little plump back then, weighting 48 kg i always saw myself fat & ugly). I remembered Lin saying out loud, "look at Ina, look at her fatty tissue clinging around her fat legs. I'm so embarrassed to walk beside her". I must admit that I was an anorexic & sometimes I still see myself fat despite my 43kg weight. Our mission of going there was to measure our weight at the weighting fortune machine (the machine prints a fortune card with our weight on it)

As I'm sitting here typing & recalling the wonderful years spent with them, reminds me of the time when all of us became chatting maniacs. I could hardly recall who introduced us to the chatting craze, but what I know for sure the craze started when one of us bought a computer that came with modem. We took turn to chat coz the wireless thingy was way beyond our time. All of us started to log for distinguished nicks. My closest friend, Anad was the heavy chatter among us. I remembered how I hardly saw her slept at nite coz of her madness over chatting. She had come to the extreme of having a 'steady' chatting buddy. I couldn't tell exactly when did we get over the madness of chatting, but one thing that I remember most was one of my chatting friends sent a pict of him in the uni he was lecturing. I even had a special nick for him, my knight in shining armour (this was plainly because I was so indulged into Jude Deveraux's a knight in shining armour novel).

I know it’s impossible to note down all the special moments spent with them. But honestly, these close friends of mine have helped me tremendously to go thru life as a student in the uni especially Anad. We went a lot of things together, we had accident while riding your bike to our morning class just after I got furious with you over something. We even had to extend our study period because of our exam results. To all my friends in uni, Ct, Anad, Lin & Imah thanks for being a good friend. I really appreciate our friendship and especially to Anad, thanks so much for putting up with my temper. And to all the friends that I got to know during my schoolday, uni or during my employment, thanks for the valuable friendship.

No comments: